Friday, October 5, 2012

Thunder and Lightning, Very, Very Frightening


I was lying in bed last night when I noticed a sound like a truck going over a bridge, repeatedly and just outside my window.  Since there are no bridges anywhere near my window, I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.  Away to the window I flew in a flash, tore open the shutter and threw up the sash. 

Instead of seeing Santa Claus, I saw a huge, very oddly-shaped cloud hanging over the Kakheti valley.  It was surrounded by clear sky and stars, and it was shaped like an anvil.  I had never thought of Telavi as being particularly high until I realized that I was even with the thundercloud, looking across at it.  I could see lightning flashing constantly from one spot to another, and the rumbling noise I heard was the thunder. 

My camera is nowhere near smart enough to get good pictures of the side of the thunderstorm, but this is a picture I took just after a thunderstorm a few days ago.  


No comments:

Post a Comment