Monday, January 14, 2013

A Break from Khatchapuri


This weekend was so busy and so crazy that I think each day deserves its own separate entry.  It all started calmly enough with a marshrutka ride to Tbilisi on Friday afternoon.  I had made the mistake of washing my laundry on Friday morning, so I had to wait for things to dry before I could pack them.  There are times when I miss having a clothes dryer. 

Kelsey and Shelley were waiting for me at the hostel, and Shelley’s friend Sati took us to the best Indian restaurant in Tbilisi.  According to Sati, there is one other Indian restaurant in the city, but their chefs are from Pakistan and Bangladesh.  I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to taste the difference, but Sati insisted. 


The restaurant looked really neat on the inside.  Each table was set up like its own little tent, with curtains separating diners from the rest of the restaurant.  The benches had lots of little throw pillows that were surprisingly comfy, especially after we ate so much we all got The ‘Itis. 

It was like the fajitas all over again.  I’m so used to being able to get food from just about any country in the world without ever leaving Richmond, and I really miss that variety over here.  Georgian food is good, but I miss lo mein and lasagne. 

I don’t even remember the names of what we ordered, except for the naan and samosas.  Something with lentils and curry, something else with cheese and cashews and raisins, something with rice and tomatoes.  It was amazing. 

Shelly and Sati and loads of food

For those of you who are confused, The ‘Itis is what you get after stuffing yourself, when you just want to lean back and close your eyes for a minute.  I think it’s only supposed to happen after eating Soul Food, but I’m hoping an exception can be made for a bunch of expats who’ve had too much khatchapuri. 

No comments:

Post a Comment